05 January, 2012

Authenticity

{Inspired by Lizzy's post.}

Some people seem to live just for trends. Here are some examples to get us started (I could give you a thousand, I'm sure).

Chevron is in? I must use it. Mustard yellow's coming into fashion. Gotta be the first to wear it. I don't like this font, but I think other people do so I'll use it. Better hurry up and download it quick. Other people show what they wear, and they're getting positive feedback, so what would it hurt if I tried it out? I hate this top, but I'll wear it just this once for my outfit post. After all, what would happen if I wore clothes I liked in front of the camera? People are trying to type pretty and they sound cliche, so it wouldn't hurt if I did. They do it. Why not try it out.

I used to be a bit like those people-those people who followed the trends-and I'm not horribly proud of it. There were trends I cared for, and I tried them out and liked them (personally I see nothing wrong with following a few trends as long as you really-and-truly love them).

But there were a few other trends I tested out and didn't like, but stuck to still. Because, well, everyone else did them.

P1000366

As Lizzy pointed out, I just realized that so many popular bloggers say that they want to be real, when really all they mean is that they're going to follow the trends. And in some cases, set trends. Have you ever noticed that there is always a blogger who's a trendsetter, setting the fashions for other bloggers? For other bloggers less popular who want to fit in and attract more people to their blogs. And then those bloggers hurry to copy other that blogger, making their blog a copycat.

Blogging is not about having a gajillion-billion followers and one hundred comments on every last post. It's about being you. It may seem like someone else has a blog, even a life that seems one hundred percent perfect. With thousands of followers and comments and pageviews and beautiful, picture-perfect photos and posts.

P1000363

So from now on, I'm going to be completely me. I'm not going to try to follow any trends, I'm just going to be me. And I will start by saying that my name is Hannah, this is my blog, and that I am proud of myself and my blog (I think you know what I mean, I'm not proud to the point of being conceited). I'm proud of this blog even though I have less than one hundred followers and don't get lots of comments, because that is who I am. I am going to be me; and while I'm not perfect, I'll try to be as authentic as possible.

If you're with me here, tell me! I'd like to know. :)

8 comments:

  1. I'm so with you, Hannah! If there was a "Least-trend-follower of the year" award, I would get it. I am such an outsider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have such beautiful and true posts, Hannah! I love reading your blog.

    Hannah W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here! Is mustard yellow really going into fashion...? if so, I think that's just strange (but cool, I guess?)
    Thank you, Hannah, for posting encouraging stuff like this :3

    ReplyDelete
  4. (BTW, you don't have to approve this , just wanted to add that I really like your banner XD)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am here! And I will post this on my blog. PASS IT ON!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made me smile. =] I have brought up this opinion before, and I'm glad someone else agrees with me! Lovely post.

    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Hannah! This is a really thoughtful post on blogging trends - I have some of the same problems with blogging - and you take amazing pictures! I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments; thanks so much for leaving me one! All I ask is that you keep them clean and respectful; so please no 'OMG's or use of the Lord's name in vain. Thanks :)

-Hannah♥